Friday, August 8, 2008

Summer Loving...

So many fun things and many sad things have happened in our household this summer, I will not elaborate on all of them now. But those that know me...know that it has been a summer.

Many of you know that I get my summer off...I work for a local school system and that is one of the perks that I get. I CHERISH my 11 weeks off...77 days...110,880 minutes...student free. I do get easily frustrated as to having to be a mom full time. This weekend is the time I sit back and feel sorry for myself that I have to go back to work (I know...stupid...but I still do it and deserve to do it) and also reflect on the summer I got to spend with my kids. About 4 years ago I got a really good job offer from a private practice firm...4 days a week (10 hour days) year round...for a shoe load of money...I really contemplated it...but sat back at the time and thought, Princess Flip Flop will have (and provided at the time she was the only shoe) 12 summers at home before she left for other shoe lands, and I didn't want her to have to be in daycare....plus...with other holiday breaks & snow days...I could potentially get 17 WEEKS off a year...hello! They only offered 11 days a year...WHAT is that about? Okay totally off track...obviously I didn't take the job.

For 11 weeks...we have swam...played...ate...got hurt...drank...drank some more(me that is) and traveled. And we have had fun. Real fun. Fun that I think the kids have really enjoyed (even thought Sandal Boy would say no, he says no to everything). I let them do things I have never let happen before..tubing...water slides...roller coasters...sleep overs...crossing the street...solo trips to the park...(I could go on and on). Because...when you think about it..our parents had no idea what we were doing...as long as we were home when the street lights came on.

Here are some quote from Princess Flip Flop (Sandal Boy just says words-not quote worthy...YET!)

-If you need me, I will be hiding behind you (as the dragonflies are dive bombing us in the pool).

-Save yourself (again Dragonflies)

-Goodtimes, goodtimes.

-I am such a loser, I don't even know when the president was born. (um neither do I, nor do I care)

-People are going to wonder what happened to my head (she so wants people to ask)

-I need a cellphone, "why", to text and call my peeps!!!!!

-I can't wait to hear what my brothers voice sounds like when he talks.
My hope is...that some day they will look back and realize that I cannot volunteer in their classrooms...be a room mom...take them to 1st grade for the first time:(...or even pick them up from school...but that they get to spend their summers swimming and having fun with me..no questions or rules really enforced. Scary I know but the truth.

No comments: